
So, for those of you who are not aware, I am in the process of trying to purchase my first house. I am very excited, though it is starting to become very stressful. I don't like negotiating, and I doubt that I am very good at it.
Anyway, at the moment, we are at a bit of a stand-still due to some potential asbestos problems. After fully educating myself about asbestos, I have determined that there are two camps, 1. Those who say that all asbestos should be removed immediately; and 2. Those who say that asbestos, in good condition, should be properly sealed and left undisturbed. Here's the situation in the house I am looking at: all asbestos appears to be in good condition and already sealed. However, it is only present in the heat/air system (flue and also on duct joints). Which is all fine and dandy, I don't believe the asbestos presents a current danger, however, I will be replacing the furnace and a/c within the first year of having the house, and I believe that in order to put in a new system, the old asbestos will have to be removed. I don't want to foot the bill to have it removed.
We only have until Tuesday to come to some sort of an agreement or I will be renting for another year. Wish me luck!

No comments:
Post a Comment