Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Re-Makes

"Blinded By The Light" was written and originally sang by Bruce Springsteen.

So why do I always hear the Manfred Mann version on the radio? And why do most people know this version rather than the original?

During my spinning class this afternoon, the instructor played the MM version, to which I immediately protested, and learned that there was only one other person in the class who even realized that Bruce wrote/sang the song.

MM totally fucks up the song, screwing up the lyrics and making it sound terrible. Maybe it's just because Bruce is my favorite artist of all time, but this is one song where the lesser-known version is by FAR the better of the two.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And that's interesting, because I REALLY don't like the BS version, but I really do like the MM version. I do, however, understand the sentiment of feeling you got shorted by not hearing the version that you enjoy. I think, had I liked the BS version, I probably would have put up a protest as well.

Sarah said...

Until recently, I didn't even know that MM had a version of this song. I always sing along, and get all frustrated because the lyrics are different! Maybe it's just a matter of what you are used to. . .